Sometimes we moved ourselves, but mostly, we let the Army send in a moving company who packed us up, shipped the truck, then brought it to our new home. This was very convenient, except it did not force us to simplify - the movers packed everything, whether we meant for them to pack it or not! One time, I caught them packing the trash can - full of trash! Another time, they packed our cookie jar, full of cookies. We didn't find out until six months later, when we were unpacking!
I often wanted to go through all of our things, weeding out, giving away, throwing into the trash, or repairing what was still useful and dear to us. However, on moving day, I was never as ready as I hoped to be. We had been busy with Scouts, ballet lessons, HomeSchooling, Youth camps, etc, etc, etc. We never had the opportunity to really "muck" out our stuff... we just moved it again.
One way I was able to sort through some of it was to go through things as they came out of the boxes. Did we mean to move that? Do I want to dust that nick-knack any more? Do I really love it, or am I just used to seeing it around the house?What?
Some time ago, I discoverd FlyLady - a free, online, subscription email, encourager, organizer, and cheerleader. As she encourages, I have received her daily email and read a bit, then deleted it; but those little bits have gathered in my brain. One of the things she encourages her followers to do is a "27 Fling Boogie" (gather up 27 things that don't belong where they are) every day, then deciding where you will put the 27 things you picked up: throw it in the trash, put it away, or give it away.
This is how I need to work on my house - just a little bit at a time. It doesn't hurt that way, and I end up with things that I truly love, instead of "a pile for everything and everything in its pile!"
So What?
Why muck out the junk from your house and life?
FlyLady says that the clutter around you steals happiness.
A&E TV show "Hoarders: Buried Alive" shows what happens when your clutter gets to an extreme.
Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf s October 2010 General Conference talk, "Of Things that Matter Most" speaks of simplifying life and getting back to the basics.
The Scriptures tells of a rich young man who goes to Jesus Christ to learn what he needs to do to inherit eternal life. When Jesus tells him to sell all he hath, give to the poor, and follow Jesus, the man was very sorrowful because he was rich.
In another Scriptures story, King Benjamin is explaining to his people how they can find happiness. He says, "And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order.
Now What?
We have set goals in our family that require decluttering.
* We want our cars inside the garage this winter - but we have a lot of other stuff in there. We are mucking out the garage & fitting our cars inside.
* My desk is a horizontal surface that collects papers, but I have seen, on rare occasions, that there is wood under all the stuff! I am working to make my desk a heaven for my homework, church work, crafts, and writing.
* My closet is stuffed with clothes I don't wear any more; it is time to muck it out and bless others with the things I don't use.
** What about you? How can you simplify your life?
No comments:
Post a Comment