Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Group Digital Labs

This afternoon, Kevin Watson, Jeffrey Whitlock, & I met at the HBLL to share what we had learned with the Group Digital Labs. 

Kevin taught us about the Connect Lab: Backchannel.  He created a cool PowerPoint Presentation to show us all about it.  It is the ability to carry on a text conversation at the same time as a live feed video.  Apparently, many use Twitter, but there is also a free downloadable program at http://backnoise.com/   He showed us a couple examples like watching a sports event online and texting about what you are watching while you are watching it.  He also told us about a class at Penn State that "developed “ClassCommons” where students could use WiFi and make comments to the class that were then displayed on large screens in front of the class." - sounds like passing notes through technology, and would allow a class clown a huge audience that distracts from the lesson!


I would guess that a class like our Digital Civilization would benifit from this new technology - but we've got to get interent access all around the classroom first!

Jeff taught us about the Create Lab: Video Tools.  He began with YouTube, and quickly showed us how to get an account, upload a video, and even edit it.  Then he took us to http://www.jaycut.com/, and showed us the tools there.  He used a video of himself running up a wall & doing a back flip (cool stunt!), and added different kinds of music, text bubbles on the video, and the tool to edit the length of each piece of the video. 



I really enjoyed learning about this, and will have to go through my limited video collection (of stuff that I actually "filmed") and see if I can edit & upload something!

I taught about Cloud Computing (see post, below), and the guys already knew about some of it, so they were able to expand on what I knew.  I demonstrated Cloud Computing by sending them a LOL picture for their entertainment.  By uploading a picture, it is held "in the cloud" rather than on someone's hard drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment