Amazing Bread Rolls
The only change I made with this recipe is that I grind wheat fresh to make it. First, it gives all the nutrition of the wheat, and second, the process of grinding the wheat (with all that friction) warms the flour, making it easier for the bread to rise. I do not add any extra gluten.
Oh, and I do it in one day, rather than the overnight option.
The original blog post: http://www.getoffyourbuttandbake.com/2008/05/moms-rolls.html
*
You will look a long time, before you find a better roll recipe than this one! I usually double this recipe, and freeze several pans.
*
2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Active Dry Yeast
1 cup Warm Water
1 cup Boiling Water
1 cup Shortening or Butter
3/4 cup Sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons Salt
2 eggs, beaten
7-1/2 to 8 cups All Purpose Flour
In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine boiling water, shortening, sugar and salt. Allow to stand 3-4 minutes or until shortening is melted and sugar is dissolved. Add the yeast mixture and eggs; mix well.
Add 2 cups of four; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. When ready to use, roll out and shape dough. Place rolls in pans, or greased cookie sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown. YIELD: 2 -1/2 dozen.
*
When I make these rolls, I often do it in one day. I skip the refrigerating overnight. Simply add enough extra flour, to make a SOFT.....non-sticky dough. They still are fabulous. Make sure you let the dough raise until generously double. Then place shaped rolls (I make crescent style)....on your greased cookie sheets. Let raise again until double, before baking.
I knead the dough long enough to add enough flour so that it's a soft dough, but not sticky. Don't overknead!
Don't worry....these rolls freeze perfectly! I simply let them cool right on the cookie sheets, wrap them with saran wrap...twice, and then cover with heavy duty foil...twice. Place them right in the freezer until you are ready to eat them. Once you take them from the freezer, remove the saran wrap, replace the foil and let them thaw. Just place the cookie sheets in a preheated 250-300 degree oven with the foil still on top, and reheat. They are delicious tender, flaky melt in your mouth rolls!
simply roll out a large circle of dough.
My circle is about 12 to 14 inches across.
Brush the top of the dough with melted butter.
The more the better.....you can hop on the treadmill later.
Using a pizza cutter,
Cut through the center from top to bottom.
Now cut across from left to right....or vice versa
Now depending on how large your circle is,
and
how large you would like your rolls.
Cut again in pie shaped slices.
Now start your rolling from the wide end.
See.....
Now look at that little tail in the center.
You want that little tail tucked Underneath the roll,
before
You place it on your GREASED Cookie Sheet.
See....
Can you tell that my TAILS are tucked under now???
(If you don't do this, they open up and lose their pretty shape.)
That's O.K. though they still taste yummy.
All the ugly ones can go straight into your mouth!
Brush the tops with more melted butter....oh baby!
Place your cookie sheets in a warm area.
I doubled this recipe, and made 5 large trays.
3 across.....4 down
That way....you have plenty for leftovers.
Cover with clean towels and let rise until double.
Don't let them rise more than this!
They continue to rise in the warm oven,
and will be much prettier if they don't get too fat.
When they come out of the oven,
brush the tops with melted butter.
Yes....more butter.
Eat one or two or three or four.......
don't tell anyone!
(This is why you must double the recipe)




No comments:
Post a Comment